Monday, November 28, 2011

Forensic Science Project: Lipstick Experiment Analysis

Lipstick Analysis-Reflection

In this particular experiment we identified the different types of lipstick prints and used chromatography to see if the print was non polar or polar. First what our class did was take a particular lip gloss sample and put it on our fingertip. We took the lip gloss sample that was on our fingertip and rubbed it all over our lips. Next we took a a small note card and smudged our lip gloss print on the note card. Then immediately we identified the different aspects of our lips. For example, my lips were plump and juicy. I also notified that there were patterns of vertical streaks in the skin of my lips. There was a gently dip upon the top of my lip. Between my lips there was  a shorter distance of space.This experiment helped me  understand the different types of lips that everybody has such as small, big,and thin. Also the experiment taught us the meaning  of chromatography to see if the print was polar or non polar. I did not know there were some many things you can test just for a lipstick print. I never really paid that much attention to my lips. This experiment was very fun in seeing everybody have a different lip print. I did not know a lipstick lab could be this exciting in forensic scientist. The experiment can be used my forensic scientist students to identify the incomparable features of different lips.

My group also did a test with the chromatography solution which consisted of water.First we dotted lip gloss on a piece of chromatography paper. The second step  we did was  hung the chromatography piece of paper on the side of the beaker. My group waited five minutes to see if it bleed through the paper. As we saw the results our group,we concluded that the lipstick print was non polar.                           

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really good and really explanes what we did in the lab but I think it would help if a picture of what your lips looked like were put on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your explanation of the assignment and how you described your lips (haha). I think you should add a picture of your lip print because it will look cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job explaining what we did in class, however, to complete this post, you could include a picture or explain how this activity can be applied to real-life scenarios.

    ReplyDelete