Thursday, December 1, 2011

Create a Profile

In this experiment called, create a profile I was presented with five clues that I had to analyze. The five clues were fingerprints, a letter, a longer piece of hair, a shorten length of hair, and  a pink smeared stain. I was reflective in all my clues of what I saw. The profile is very interesting and these are the facts I presented for each clue.

The first steps to create a profile were to analyze the clues. My first clue was fingerprints. I researched all the types of fingerprints on the computer and tried to link those fingerprints to the ones on the card. These are all the types of fingerprints I saw on clue one.

In clue number one, there are four fingerprints present with all different types of characteristics.

First Fingerprint: Plain Whorl

Second Fingerprint: Central Pocket Loop

Third Fingerprint: Central Pocket Loop

Fourth Fingerprint: Ulnar Loop

In this part of the experiment, I analyzed piece of long hair strand that was clue number 2 . These are characteristics below I discovered about the hair strands.

I determined the hair came from an African American. The edges were bluntly cut, the shaft was scaly, and there was kind of a railroad shape.

Clue number three was a  letter that said “ You will never find her” these are the characteristics below I found about the handwritten note or letter. I used the 12 handwriting characteristics to asses analyzing the letter.

The handwriting had large loops. In the handwriting, there was a mixture of cursive and print letters. The writing flows very well, although some of the y’s are disconnected to the rest of the lowercase letters. There were abundant of largely spaced words.

Clue number four was a shorter length of hair and these are some of the characteristics below I found about the hair under a microscope.

The hair strand could have possibly been synthetic hair. The hair strand was very thick and dark throughout. The hair strand was the color of black. 

Clue number five was a pink smear of blood or pink lip gloss stain that was on presented on a note card.

I did not find a lot of information about this clue.



After analyzing, the clues there were questions that I had to answer about these clues.

2nd Step:  What do we know for sure?

We know the different types of fingernails such as the 1st fingerprint is Plain Whorl, 2nd  and 3rd fingerprint were being defined as Central Pocket fingerprint, and the 4th fingerprint which is Ulnar Loop. On the 1st hair /fiber strand we know that the hair edges were bluntly cut and there was a railroad shape. There are different types of handwriting styles of the letters in the note including spacing, loops, and disconnected letters. The second hair which was shorter style was very thick and dark throughout the strand.

What do I need to know but need testing to be conclusive (Be Specific?)

I  need to do a paper chromatography test for the particular pink smear substance to determine of the smear is lip-gloss or blood. I need to also try to examine and compare the different finger prints to identify who is the criminal of the crime scene. Closely note that I need to dust the note or letter for fingerprints so we can find the particular criminal of the crime scene. In addition to, I need to do DNA analysis of both hair samples to identify.

What do I not know?

I do not know if the particular identity of the fingerprints, the DNA of the hairs, who wrote the note, and what the stain is.

Third Step:  What is my initial profile?

That a African American female was raped by a white male as she was going to her car at a parking gargage. As she was struggling to get away, maybe the the pink smear was blood that came from her. The criminal left the four fingerprints on the black window of a van. Her hair got caught in the door and fell out on the floor. He wrote a letter that he left on her car at the job. The note  said " You'll never find her ".

Fourth Step: What are my next steps?

My next steps are getting DNA test for both of the hairs. I must do a chromatography test to identify if the pink smear is blood or lip gloss. The note must be dusted for fingerprints. Finally, I must examine and compare the fingerprints.



In this experiment I learned a lot about analyzing clues and how to create a profile. I learned how to set my self  procedures of what to do in the crime . It was also a struggle trying to analyze those fingerprints. The hair was fun to see. There was a struggle trying to analyze the shorter piece of hair for me. Over all this experiment revealed great knowledge to me of how to correlate and compare clues together.




3 comments: